Connect with us


The Strange Real Story Behind The Busby Stoop Curse



Busby Stoop chair ain’t your normal kind of curse. Would you dare to sit in a chair knowing that every person that sat on it died?

With an unlimited list of knows cursed objects, haunted artifacts, and other supernaturally-influenced items from around the world, but only a short list attached to deaths.

The Victim

In the late 17th century, Daniel Awety bought a farm on the edge of Kirby Wiske.

Daniel Awety moved from Leeds to the rural hamlet of Kirby Wiske some 3 miles from the local Inn.

He bought a farm on the edge of Kirby Wiske and renamed it “Danotty Hall”, a derivative of Dan-Awety, and this name remains to this day.

The hall sits at the top of a gentle rise, providing an excellent look-out for unwanted visitors.

Those characteristics were very handy to Daniel Awety, a coin clipper, and forger, allowing him to continue his illegal business of counterfeiting without caught unguarded.

For whom not familiar with the expression, “Coin Clipping” is the act of shaving off a small portion of precious metal coins for profit.

The Murder

Awety had a daughter named Elizabeth and a local man by the name of Thomas Busby fell in love with her.

Thomas Busby, the local bully, and alcoholic became the partner in crime with his father in law, Daniel Awety.

Busby enjoyed his times at the local Inn, where he had a favorite chair to sit in to drink, make jokes and bully others.

On one night Busby arrived at the inn to find Daniel Awety sitting on his beloved chair.

They got into a heated argument. It said that Awety threatened to take his daughter Elizabeth away from Busby and return her to Danotty Hall.

The Busby Stoop Curse

Thomas Busby returned later that night to Danotty Hall and murdered his father-in-law Daniel Awety in 1702.

Busby bludgeoned Awety to death with a hammer and hid the body in the woods.

After Awety disappearance a search group found the lifeless body and not long after they arrested his son in law.

Thomas Busby was tried at York Assizes and sentenced to death by hanging in 1702.

On his way to hang, as the last request, he asked to stop by the inn and sit in “his chair” one last time.

On his way out he cursed anyone who dared sit in his chair. Who sat in it would be haunted and soon have a horrible death.

Thomas Busby hung on the opposite site of the coaching inn at the crossroads on the old Great North Road leading into Thirsk.

The people of the town believed in the curse and years later the inn changed its name and became known as the Busby Stoop Inn.

The curse of the chair was born. The chair remained in the inn for centuries, and for attraction, people dared each other to sit in it.

The Busby Stoop Curse’s victims

In 1894, two friends, a local chimney sweeper and another man had been drinking at the Inn.

After leaving the Busby Stoop Inn late that night, the chimney sweeper laid down on the roadside to sleep.

On the following morning, the poor man was found hanging by his neck on a gatepost next to the old Busby gibbet.

The investigation lead to suicide.

Even nobody remembers seen him sitting on the chair, he is claimed to be the Busby Stoop Curse’s first victim.

The unexplained deaths connected to The Busby Stoop Curse continue

It took almost two hundred years for the chair take its course, but since then a list of other deaths followed.

During WWII, 4 squadrons of the Royal Canadian Air Force made the Inn a recreational place, since they were across the road at the old Skipton on Swale airfield.

They dare each other to sit in the chair. One pilot accepted.

Next morning the airmen who sat in the Busby chair died while bombing areas over Germany.

The Busby Stoop Inn under new management but the deaths doesn’t stop

Tony Earnshaw purchased the Busby Stoop Inn in 1968.

But even before the deal, he used to go to the pub to have a pint. One night he witnesses two airmen challenging each other to sit in the infamous chair.

Earnshaw initially dismissed the Busby curse as nonsense but later reported several fatal incidents which began to worry him.

Both airmen sat in Busby’s chair and later during the same day, the car one of them was driving hit a tree and both men died on their way to the hospital.

Still, after that Earnshaw dismissed the Busby curse as coincidence. He was not a superstitious man, but not for long.

Tony Earnshaw tells the story of a group of builders who came to his pub for lunch. The group dares the youngest one to sit at Busby’s chair.

Feeling like in an initiation ceremony the brave kid felt obliged to do it.

But after returning to the job site the young construction worker fell through the roof onto concrete and was pronounced dead on the site.

After this death, Tony Earnshaw decided to lock the chair away in his cellar and put an end to The Busby Stoop Curse.

Years have the past and in 1978 the delivery man from the brewery told Earnshaw how comfortable the chair was after sitting on it, and it was a shame such fine furniture was not being used at the Inn.

Hours pass and the news arrived at the Pub that the delivery truck went off the road and the brewery man killed instantly.

Knowing how the chair had a historical value to the town’s folklore. Tony Earnshaw then donates the chair to the Thirsk museum, but in one condition, the museum never lets anyone ever sit in.

Is that the end of The Busby Stoop Curse?

The museum put the chair on the wall, high enough that will allow nobody to try to sit on it for over 30 years.

Cooper Harding, manager of the tiny Thirsk museum tells that many tried to do so.

A Japanese film crew got upset when he refused the permission to take down the chair and attempt to sit on it, in 2004.

They sought a court order to challenge the curse in Northallerton and later inquired what would be the penalty for breaking such rule. The answer “Death”.

Mr. Harding states that they have been requested many times to allow visitors to sit in Busby’s chair.

“We could have made a lot of money for the museum if we had let visitors sit in the chair, but a promise is a promise.”

Was The Busby Stoop Curse real after all?

But, was any historical validation to the Busby Stoop Curse’s story?

The History of York published in 1858, records the murder of Daniel Awety in 1702 . While the Kirby Wiske parish records confirm Awety’s burial on the 7th June 1702 .

Early parish records reveal, for the first time, that probably a certain Christopher Shaws, was Thomas Busby’s accomplice.

Christopher Shaws sentenced to death by hanging for the murder of a man called D. Notty and buried on the 4th August 1702 in Thirsk cemetery.

No records have any reference to a chair connected to any death incident.

The Busby Stoop chair is only mentioned and speculated by the press only the mid 20th century.

Among the deaths, the death of the chimney sweeper, in 1894, the real cause revealed in 1914 by his drinking partner at his death bed.

He confessed to tied the victim to a fence and robbed his purse. He murdered him for just twopence.

While the 4 squadrons of the Royal Canadian Air Force’s records shows an incredible below average aircraft loss, of only 1.65%, from over 11000 flyes.

Where did the Busby Stoop chair come from?

The visitors, always challenged others to sit in Thomas Busby’s old chair at the Inn, but is it his chair?

A renowned and respected furniture historian, with a Research Fellowship at the Victoria and Albert Museum, Dr. Adam Bowett, suggest that the chair was made 138 years after Thomas Busby’s execution.

“The Busby Stoop chair is a type now known as a ‘Caistor’ chair, because of its association with the chairmaker John Shadford. Shadford worked in the north Lincolnshire town of Caistor between 1843 and 1881. It is unlikely to be older than 1840 and could have been made as late as 1900”.

The Busby Stoop Inn today

Separating the A61 and A167 between the villages of Sandhutton and Carlton Miniott, stands the Busby Stoop Inn, displaying a sign with the Busby Stoop chair next to a mock set of gallows.

But the strange activities seems not stop with the removal of the piece of furniture, the workers and visitor believe the old coaching inn is haunted by the ghost Thomas Busby.

The Busby Stoop Inn landlady, Karen Rowley, confirms:

“I’ve been here for the last 7 years and the locals are still afraid of the chair and its curse. I saw a figure on the landing upstairs, it was a very tall human like figure with no arms and no clear face. It moved sideways and then disappeared through a wall. I was absolutely terrified.”

The Busby Stoop Inn receives visitors from all around the world asking about the chair and its curse.

Anyway, if it is real or not, the Busby Stoop Curse, is not only good for the business of the Inn and museum but also for the town.

Other Great Museums with Strange, Haunted and Cursed Objects


Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply


The Philip Experiment – The Strange Story Behind the Movie The Quiet Ones




The Philip Experiment - The Strange Story Behind the movie The Quiet OnesAfter watching the movie “The Quiet Ones“, on Netflix with my wife, the question came to mind, “is the movie really based on a real experiment, The Philip Experiment?”

A quick research left us with more question than answers.

The Quiet Ones” is supposedly a film based on the events of the Toronto Society for Psychical Research in the 1970s, where parapsychologists tried to create a ghost to prove they are products of the human mind.

But that’s not what the movie presented.

What is the Movie “The Quiet Ones” About?

According to of the official website, the movie is inspired by true events.

The film stars Jared Harris (Mad Men and Sherlock Homes: A Game of Shadows), Sam Claflin (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire), Olivia Cooke (Bates Motel).

John Pogue directed and wrote the screenplay with Craig Rosenberg and Oren Moverman and was based on a screenplay by Tom de Ville.

The Philip Experiment - The Strange Story Behind the movie The Quiet OnesAn Oxford Professor Joseph Coupland along with a team of university students conducted an “experiment” on Jane Harper, a young girl who harbors unspeakable secrets.

He invites introspective lad Brian McNeil to film his experimental treatment.

Jane has no memory of her past and she is repeatedly abandoned by foster families, she believes herself possessed by a doll named Evey that gives her telekinetic power.

Keeping her awake in an isolated house, Prof. Coupland intends that she puts her evil energy into an actual doll, thereafter destroying it to heal Jane.

What dark forces they uncover are even terrifying than any of them expected.

Good but was this the story from so called The Philip Experiment?

Watch The Quiet Ones Official Trailer

What is The Philip Experiment?

The Philip Experiment - The Strange Story Behind the movie The Quiet OnesDr. Alan George Robert Owen, a self-proclaimed ghost expert, created the Toronto Society for Psychical Research (TSPR) group.

The group consisted of his wife, an industrial designer, an accountant, a housewife, a student of sociology.

A psychologist named Dr. Joel Whitton also participated as an observer.

The Canadian parapsychologist group aimed for an experiment that would create a ghost. They wanted to prove their theory that ghosts are products from the human mind.

Phase 1: Create Philip

The experiments (which became known as The Philip Experiment) began in 1972.

The first objective was to create a fictional historical character.

They created “facts” to relate to the life of this character.

They wrote a biography and called him Philip Aylesford.

In his biography, they claimed that he was a seventeenth-century English nobleman, who was married to a beautiful but cold and hostile woman by the named Dorothea.

Philip then met beautiful gypsy by the named Margo, who made him fall instantly in love. Soon Philip and Margo became secret lovers.

Dorothea found out about Margo and accused her of witchcraft. As a result, Margo was burned alive.

Philip plagued with remorse, in the only way he could handle it was to fight in the battle of Diddington, where he died on the battlefield.

Phase 2: Communicate with Philip

The Philip Experiment - The Strange Story Behind the movie The Quiet OnesWith the help from a biography sketch artist that executed freehand drawing of their newly created man, the group move on to the next phase, communication.

The objective that, with Philip’s portrait, the group would easily believe that Philip Aylesford really existed.

The sessions began in September 1972. The group discussed Philip’s life, trying to visualize it with most details as possible.

For a year the sessions presented no result, apart from the occasional presence in the room feeling.

Until the Toronto Society for Psychical Research decided to take a different approach.

They changed the atmosphere to something more close to a tradition séance, dimming the lights while sitting around the table.

They included elements from Philip’s era.

For the surprise part of the group this technique produced the expected result, Philip manifested himself to the group.

The group got their first message from Philip in the form of a very clear beat on the table.

They asked questions in which he could respond with a tap to “Yes” and two to “No.”

Is This Really Philip?

But how could they be sure it was Philip’s ghost answering the questions.

They decided to directly ask for questions from Philip’s biography.

As a result, Philip was able to give accurate information from his history.

The Philip Experiment - The Strange Story Behind the movie The Quiet Ones

The séances continued with a larger range of unexplained phenomena.

Philip began to assume a personality of his own, with strong points of view on various subjects.

Beside the blows on the table, he began to moving the table, sliding from side to side, even over a thick rug.

During Philip’s manifestation, the group took notice of some singular characteristics.

The table would be “electric” to the touch, and the temperature would drop over the table.

It was as if Philip, in a way, became the table itself.

In front of a live audience, about 50 people, Philip made the lights flicker and even made the table levitate just an inch off the floor. All filmed as part of a documentary.

The Philip Experiment ran according to the initial expectations from the Group.

Although, against the main goal, the ghost of Philip never materializes in front of the group.

The Philip Experiment Conclusion

The Philip Experiment - The Strange Story Behind the movie The Quiet OnesEven after the long time and strange events documented by the Toronto Society for Psychical Research (TSPR) group the results are inconclusive.

Seems like some concluded that this proved that ghosts do not exist, that they are simply creations of the minds. Others theorized that it may not have been Philip but another Ghost playing with researchers.

Outsiders just believe that all was a hoax.

It was not possible to confirm the events were produced by the ghost of a fictional character by the name Philip.

Is The Movie “The Quiet Ones” Based on The Philip Experiment?

Is there any truth between the film and The Philip Experiment to inspired it?

The connections are too slim.

Aside from the idea of an experiment with paranormal activities the movie produced by Lionsgate and Exclusive Media is a fiction movie inspired but not based on true events.

Besides the fact that the Script was heavily rewritten for budget reasons.

Learn more about other supposedly Based in True Story movies.


Continue Reading


You Won’t Believe the Stories Behind this Haunted German U-Boat




Built in 1916, a German U-Boat, a submarine U-65, became notorious for being haunted by an unexplained number of events, from accidents to deaths. Even an exorcism took place inside the ship.

From 1871 until 1919, the German Empire built a strong military naval fleet.

It became known as ‘Kaiserliche Marine’, or the Imperial Navy, created with the intentions of German’s Kaiser Wilhelm II, to surpass the British fleet power.

By 1916, in Hamburg’s shipyards the U-Boats, U-60’s and U-65, were assembled, twenty-four submarines especially designed to operate out of the ports of Belgium.

U-boat is the English version of the German word U-Boot. The “U” refers to the German word “Unterseeboot” translating to “Underwater boat.”

Strange and Unexplainable Deaths in the U-Boat

the Stories Behind this Haunted German U-Boat

By 1917, most of the fleet were complete. But since its construction, one of them, a U-65 became a legend on his own, but not of the good kind.

Construction workers from the U-65 were struck by a heavy girder that slipped from the crane killing one instantly in 1916.

Another worker was also injured in the accident and died days later at the hospital.

Months later, on January 26, 1917, the U-Boat was moved to the open sea for final tests.

During the tests, three crewmen became stranded in the engine room when the door supposedly got stuck or locked.

All three died of asphyxiation, but when rescue arrived at the scene the door opened without any problem.

The Haunting of the U-Boat

You Won’t Believe the Stories Behind this Haunted German U-Boat

During joint maneuvers with two other U-Boats, days later, the captain ordered an Auxiliary to inspect the hatchways and the deck before submerge.

An operation witnessed terrified the Auxiliary Officer, he calmly and quietly walked across the deck and was swept overboard close by the U-boat’s propellers.

The ocean was reported to be calm and glassy.

Informed by the event, the captain ordered to stop the submerging process and stop the engines but the submarine continues to sink.

It dropped to the bottom of the sea with a crack in the forward ballast tank.

The U-Boat remained for 12 hours stranded at the bottom. The terrified crew spread the belief of a curse for the recent tragedy history.

You Won’t Believe the Stories Behind this Haunted German U-Boat

Close to lack oxygen, the U-Boat surfaced by itself. The entire U-65’s crew became violently ill, including two sailors who died in a hospital from poisoning.

The German submarine returned to the shipyard for repairs from the collision with the bottom and to detect any problem with the engines.

Nothing abnormal was found and was cleared to be back to service.

But while re-arming the U-Boat, a warhead exploded taking the life of a Second Officer and eight sailors.

Nine other crew members were seriously wounded.

Ghost on Board

You Won’t Believe the Stories Behind this Haunted German U-Boat

To calm the crew, in February 1917, Oberleutnant Karl Honig was appointed to command the U-65.

He was a regular officer with experience and had a high reputation serving on submarines.

A terrified crew boarded on the U-Boat to soon some of them claimed to have witnessed the dead officer with arms crossed standing on deck.

The fear took over upon arriving in Dover, England, during combat. The crew preferred to land under heavy bomb fire rather than to continue safely on board.

It was just after some steps on land the captain was hit by machine-gun bullets and died.

The rest of the U-65’s crew refused to re-embark against a War Council order, claiming that they will be doom for getting inside a haunted submarine.

To appease the crew the War Council sent in an exorcist.

But the curse or bad luck continued on board.

On that same night, the artillery operator fainted, when he woke up, he told he witnessed seeing the dead officer again with his arms crossed on the deck.

By the morning the sailor committed suicide and was found by the crew.

In the engine room, another sailor was involved in an accident that resulted in a broken leg.

The Weird and Mysterious End of the U-65

With only four months to end the WWI, on July 18, 1918, the Haunted U-Boat legend was already known throughout the German fleet.

About this time, an American submarine, USS L-2, patrolling off the coast of Ireland, at periscope depth, locked its target on the German U-Boat.

According to the American Captain’s transcriptions, he spotted a man with arms crossed on the deck of the German U-65.

But before he could confirm the order to release the torpedos the German U-Boat exploded in the mid air.

The American USS L-2 that "sank" the Haunted German U Boat 0

He tried to find the person responsible for firing without his orders, only to discover that all torpedoes were still on board.

The German Imperial Navy would have reported thirty-four lives were lost in that explosion.

after the end of the WWI, several sailors from the U-65 confirmed that they deserted and more stories from the inside of the submarine became public.

Many crew members and officials witnessed strange lights inside the boat. Another witness told a disembodied hand touched his face.

When the stories reached the other side of the Atlantic, an American journalist, Edgar Cayce made an investigation. He added more incredible unconfirmed paranormal stories.

What Officially Happened to the German U-65?

You Won’t Believe the Stories Behind this Haunted German U-Boat

Not many records can be found from that era, especially after the WWII.

The “Kaiserliche Marine” issues and alternate report about the submarine, denying some of the events surrounding their U-Boat.

Most of the report’s actions had never existed. Though they admitted that “at some point, the submarine had carried out unexplained maneuvers that were beyond the control and knowledge of its experienced crew.”

The U-65 was built in Kiel rather than Wilhelmshaven in 1915, instead of 1916.

The German U-Boat sank 52 enemy ships on 11 patrols, while stationed in Pula during the WWI.

By the end of the war, on Oct. 28, 1918, U-65 was scuttled at Pula during the evacuation.

What really happened to that German U-Boat is still a mystery. With the years and lack of official documents, the legend continues to grow.

Would you like to know more Haunted Ships and Boat stories? Or send us a message on Twitter or Facebook.


Continue Reading


What You Didn’t Know About The Ghosts From the Silent Movie Theatre




The Silent Movie Theatre dedicated only to present “silent” films is also haunted by the ghosts from two former owners.

The Beginning of the Silent Movie Theatre

John Hampton and his wife Dorothy started the Silent Movie Theatre in 1942, on Fairfax Avenue in Los Angeles, California. Fifteen years after silent films became obsolete.

The theater, built in vintage 1940s Art Deco design with 158-seats, had the purpose designed by Mr. Hamptonad, to the preservation, and continuity of screening and enjoying silent movies.

Movies with stars like Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, Buster Keaton, Laurel and Hardy, Harold Lloyd, Felix The Cat, Rudolph Valentino and the Keystone Cops could be appreciated by young generations.

The legend tells that Clara Bow and Charlie Chaplin would come disguised with dark glasses and big hats, sat in the back of the theater, to watch their respective own movies.

The End of the Gold Age

John Hampton projected the films and created his own soundtracks by simultaneously playing records from his large collection of 78 records.

The Ghosts From the Silent Movie Theatre - John-Hampton

Mr. Hampton dedicated himself to preserve his huge library of 16mm prints, even if that meant he often placed his new finds into a tub full of chemicals above the theater.This is where he tinted and toned the pieces himself.

But his dedication had a price…

The exposure during the years to this high-level toxins was lethal to Mr. Hampton.

He was diagnosed with cancer in the 1970s and John Hampton passed away in 1990.

The couple closed the theater while battling the disease. He sold his silent film collection to the UCLA Film and Television Archive, in 1988.

Tragedy Strikes again at the Silent Movie Theatre

In 1991 a family friend, Laurence Austin, reopened the Silent Movie Theatre, renovated the building and added live music.

Laurence Austin ran the theater with the help of his lover, for seven years and also the projectionist, James Van Sickle also the projectionist.

The Ghosts From the Silent Movie Theatre - Laurence-Austin

But on January 17, 1997, while the Silent Movie Theatre was showing the 1927 film, “Sunrise” and proceeded by two short films

there were about 60-70 people in the theater at the time.

Among them, 19-year old wearing a golf hat, Christian Rodriguez entered the theater and was greeted by Laurence Austin as all customers.

Then he waited patiently in the back for the films to begin.

As soon as the second short movie started, “School Days”, Rodriguez asked Mary Giles, at the lobby, if was possible to buy advanced tickets.

She pointed him to see Austin at the ticket booth.

The Ghosts From the Silent Movie Theatre

Rodriguez armed with a .357 Magnum Revolver demanded money, Austin turned the money over, but Rodriguez ignored the money and shot him in the face.

He turned to Mary and shot her twice in the chest.

People in the theater fled the building thru the backdoor while the murderer turned back to Austin’s body, shooting him two more times.

Laurence Austin died from the first shot, with 74 years old. Giles survived and described the shooter to investigators.

Conspiracy at the Silent Movie Theatre

LAPD arrested Rodriguez in the next month. He told police that he was hired for $25,000.00 to kill Austin. An additional $5000.00 to kill Giles and make it look like a robbery by James Van Sickle, 34.

The Ghosts From the Silent Movie Theatre

Van Sickle was reported to be heavily in debt, he was listed as the sole beneficiary of Austin’s estate, valued at more than $1 million

Christian Rodriguez and James Van Sickle was found guilty of murder and sentenced to life without parole.

Two years later Rodriguez was also convicted of the attempted murder of Mary Giles.

Silent Movie Theatre Rebirth, Thanks to a Ghost

Charlie Lustman was riding by the Silent Movie Theatre when he believed he heard the original owner, John Hampton, speaking to him.

On Halloween of 1999, he re-opened the place, new wooden floors, a new screen and projection booth and a neon marquee.

The films were still accompanied by piano or organ music. But the changes couldn’t go too far.

Lustman attested that in case he try to make things different from the original purpose of the theater the paranormal activity would increase.

He received a black eye from a display case while preparing for a 3-D movie presentation in 2000. Minutes before the presentation the projector broke before the first 3-D session started.

It was clear, for him, the ghost that haunted the Silent Movie Theatre were not happy with his decision.

In 2006, Lustman sold the theater to the Harkham brothers.

The theater was again renovated and re-opened as a rival house called the Cinefamily, with an eclectic mix of Classic Sound and Silent Movies.

The Ghost from Silent Movie Theatre

Lustman and a former publicist for the theater heard the repeated jingle of keys while alone in the building.

The Ghosts From the Silent Movie Theatre

The jingling of keys was a nervous habit from the prior owner Laurence Austin.

By the lobby, witness testifies to be shocked near the place Laurence Austin was shot.

At the same area, a red blood stain appears and disappears where Laurence Austin’s body felt to the floor.

A crimson-red blood stain has been known to appear and disappear in the approximate spot where a former owner, Laurence Austin, was gunned down by a hired hit man.

Austin’s ghost has also been seen, after hours, lingering by employees in the lobby over the years.

The projection booth is believed also to be haunted, not sure if by a former projectionist or one of the owners.

The first owner and creator of the concept of the Silent Film Theatre, John Hampton, regularly haunts the upstairs lounge. Which used to be his and his wife, Dorothy’s, apartment for over 45 years.

The Ghosts From the Silent Movie Theatre

The Ghosts From the Silent Movie Theatre

The Silent Movie Theatre is located on the west side of Fairfax Avenue just north of the Farmers Market.


Continue Reading